Thursday, December 29, 2011

And so it begins...

On June 2, 2012 I will be towing the line at my very first 100 mile foot race.  This will take place in the beautiful Kettle Moraine State forest in Wisconsin.  I have to thank my very good running friends for giving me the push I needed (push = they signed me up) to man up and do this.  Thank you Brian, Kelly, Leah, Eric, Tif, Matt, Steve, Paul, Jeremy, Rita, Joe, and Michael.  I look forward to many training miles with all of you :-)  

This is how my friends presented this gift to me...I'm a little slow and didn't "get it" right away.

I have just completed putting together my training plan.  It is a 24 week plan...but this race is only 22 weeks away.  I feel I have a good base going in - now I need to pull out the discipline and get serious with the mileage, diet, cross training, and maybe cutting out back on the wine.  I intend to follow the training plan come hell or high water...so, if you're looking for a running bud from now through June, give a holler.  I've got 1,099 training miles to log.

Here are some pictures of the beautiful trails on the course.  These were taken last year while pacing the amazing Mimi Ko during her 100.  I learned so much from that experience.  I actually remember telling Mimi that I would NEVER even consider running 100 miles.  Never say never...




http://www.kettle100.com/KettleMap2008.pdf  - course map


My schedule is telling me 5 miles...

Gotta run.
~jen

5 comments:

  1. I look forward to watching your progress. Go get 'em, and have fun!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck Jen. I'll be following your posting and I'll see you when you come through the Taramack aid station (miles 5, 55, 65 and 95 approx).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you for all of the support:-)

    Ian - my mom is going to sign up to volunteer as well...would you recommend the Taramack aid station? Do volunteers get to choose where they'd like to be stationed? Any info would be great.

    Thanks!
    Jen

    ReplyDelete